Form Center

By signing in or creating an account, some fields will auto-populate with your information and your submitted forms will be saved and accessible to you.

Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Abatement Application

  1. To apply for an abatement (or refund if excise has been paid), complete this form and provide the specified documentation

  2. Abatement Applications MUST be received by the assessors within three years after the excise was due, or one year after the excise was paid, whichever is later. To preserve your right to appeal, you must file on time. By law, assessors may only act on late applications in limited circumstances where the excise is still unpaid and their decision in those cases is final.

  3. Filing an application does not stay the collection of your excise bill. To avoid interest, charges and collection action, including non-renewal of your registration, you must pay the bill in full within 30 days of its issue date. You will receive a refund if an abatement is granted.

  4. You are NOT entitled to an abatement if you (1) cancel your registration and retain ownership of the vehicle, or (2) move to another Massachusetts city or town, during the calendar year. No excise may be reduced to less than $5.00. No abatement or refund of less than $5.00 may be made.

  5. As Shown on Bill

  6. As shown on bill

  7. If Different

  8. Reason you are applying for abatement

  9. You must provide supporting documentation for the reason you are applying for abatement. See requirements below

  10. Bill of sale AND plate return receipt from the Registry of Motor Vehicles or new registration form if plate transferred to another vehicle.

  11. Police report or insurance settlement letter AND plate return receipt, C-19 Form (Affidavit of Lost or Stolen Plate from RMV) or new registration form

  12. Notice from lienholder AND plate return receipt, C-19 Form or new registration

  13. Receipt from junk yard AND plate return, C-19 Form, or New Vehicle Registration

  14. Letter from Dealer certifying return AND plate return receipt or new registration

  15. Proof of residency before January 1 of Tax year of bill (e.g. utility bill, voter registration, lease) AND proof RMV was notified before January 1 of address change for registration. Note: You must notify the RMV within 30 days of moving and before January 1 to be billed by your new city or town next year

  16. Registration from new state or country

  17. Document establishing qualifications

  18. Appropriate supporting documentation

  19. Signed under the penalties of perjury

  20. Leave This Blank:

  21. This field is not part of the form submission.