Transfer Station Instructions
- 2018 Transfer Station permit stickers are now available for purchase and will expire June 30, 2018. Access to the Gardner Transfer Station may be continued after this date only by obtaining a new permit for another year. Residents who subscribe to curbside collection and who are current on their City utility bill receive a $30.00 credit towards their annual sticker fee.
- To obtain a Transfer Station permit, bring your driver’s license and vehicle registration for which the permit will be issued, to the Board of Health Office at City Hall. Office hours are Monday – Thursday 8:00am - 4:30pm., Friday 8:00 am - 1:00 pm.
- The Transfer Station permit sticker must be placed on the vehicle at the time of issuance. The sticker must be placed in the lower driver’s side corner on the inside of windshield. In the event your vehicle is sold or a windshield is replaced, the sticker must be REMOVED AND RETURNED to the Board of Health Office for a free replacement sticker. NO EXCEPTIONS
- The permit will allow you to dispose of bulky items (i.e. large items that are not picked up curbside) and may be subject to inspection. All household waste must be contained in the City’s yellow PAYT bags or paid by the load using the volume-based fee schedule. See Item Fees.
- The Gardner Transfer Station Permit Sticker is not to be used for waste generated by commercial activities; it is for Gardner residents who wish to dispose of their household items only. Vehicles with a commercial registration/plate may be subject to inspection prior to permit issue. Hauling for others for a fee is prohibited. All loads must be secured and covered if necessary to prevent spillage and litter.
- Your Transfer Station permit number will be assigned your vehicle’s registration number. The Transfer Station permit can only be used on the vehicle it was assigned to. Use of the permit on an unassigned vehicle is illegal and such permit will be revoked. In order to ensure that only City residents with Transfer Station stickers are using the Transfer Station, a list of the valid permits will be kept in the Board of Health office as well as at the Transfer Station.
- The Transfer Station Monitor has the right to reject loads that violate the waste ban (see below) or are, in his opinion the result of commercial activities or waste coming from outside the City of Gardner.
NO CASH OR CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED AT THE TRANSFER STATION.
|Waste Ban Items||How to Handle Banned Item||Details|
|Asbestos||Friable (insulation), Non-friable (shingles)||Logano (800 272-0999)|
|Whole Tires||Recycling Center||No Rims, $5 fee per tire|
|Infectious (Medical) Waste||Stericycle (800) 647-6832||Contact for packing/handling|
|White Goods/Appliances/Televisions/Computer Monitors||Recycling Center||Bulk item sticker must be attached-Radioactive Waste$15.00|
|Radioactive Waste||Radiation Control||(617) 727-6214|
|Lead Acid Batteries||Recycling Center Battery Shed||Auto & Household|
|Leaves & Yard Waste||Recycling Center||No Plastic Bags/Construction Debris|
|Recyclable Paper||Recycling Center||Cardboard/Mixed Paper|
|Glass & Metal Containers||Recycling Center|
|Single Polymer Plastics||Recycling Center|
|Mercury Products||Recycling Center||Mercury Products, Fluorescent Bulbs|
|Scrap Metal||Recycling Center|
|Wood Furniture||Recycling Center||Bulk item sticker must be attached-$10.00|
|Construction Waste||Recycling Center||Volume-based fee per load|
|Liquids (Inc. Propane)||Compliance Manager||(978) 355-6821|
|Flammable||HHW Collection Days||(978) 874-6252 or (877) 874-6252|
|Hazardous Waste/Oil Based Paint||HHW Collection Days||(978) 874-6252 or (877) 874-6252|
|Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) Batteries||Recycling Center Battery Shed|
|Paint/Paint Products||Recycling Center|
|Motor Oil/Antifreeze||Recycling Center||NO combustibles, filters|